Saturday, March 10, 2007

Needlepoint Truths

Tonight there was a benefit for Mike, a former student of Gail's who is battling cancer. Just a few blocks away, we attended a surprise birthday party for my husband's step-brother.

In many ways, I'm sure the two parties were similar -- rooms filled with family and friends putting their arms around a loved one and celebrating his life.

Today was also my own brother's birthday. Had cancer not taken Allen's life eleven years ago, it would have been his 51st birthday. Though he's been gone all these years, I still celebrate his life. Allen was funny. He was a great artist, and he was loyal and loving to a fault. I miss him.


For Allen, for Mike, for my mom, and for anyone whose life cancer has touched, this simple little needlepoint says it all.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post made me cry...and then laugh! Now that's my kind of needlepoint!
-Em

Anonymous said...

Brilliant needlepoint!

I once saw some yellow Lance Armstrong looking bracelets that read "Fuck cancer" and I should have ordered a bunch.