Monday, August 28, 2006

Milestones

Last week was filled with milestones. Too many milestones, really, to grasp and savor any of them the way I wanted.

Two Fridays ago, a slew of us from Cuckoo's Nest went to see fellow cast members Sarah, Jai, and Marc in Pippin at LTOB. It was a really wonderful night. I had dinner with my dearest friend Gail and then we saw a great show. It was really fun to see the gang from Cuckoo's Nest and meet new friends from Pippin. I so enjoyed that evening.

Each of my boys reached a milestone last week: Tyler started Middle School, Parker went to 1st Grade, and Kevin decided it was finally time to give up diapers. (Thank God. I just figured out that since Tyler was six when Parker was born, and Parker was three when Kevin was born...I've had a child in diapers for approximately 10 of the past 13 years. )

In the midst of these milestones, another mother yearned to see her child reach milestones, too. She waited for her daughter to open her eyes, to speak, to move her toes. Rachel Berezinsky was shot last Tuesday evening - very close to my own home - and today she clings to life in intensive care. I haven't been able to shake the horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach since it happened.

Then, on Saturday, we learned about Charles, who was with us just two Fridays ago at Pippin. Oh, Charles. We will remember you with such fondness and we will never forget your smile, your kind spirit, or your infectious laugh. Perhaps you too have reached a milestone. Peace to you, dear one. Peace to you.

3 comments:

Sony said...

KL - My thoughts and prayers are with you as you face and try to understand the harsher realities of this world. It's the one thing we all have in common, I guess. But then you seem to have grasped an important fact of life: cherish the little moments and the milestones equally. Because just as there is sadness, there is joy and it's all around us... in our friends, with our families; from our first day of school to opening night and all the way back to when we put down the Huggies and picked up some Fruit of the Looms --- everyday is a milestone.

Looking forward to reading about more of yours.

Anonymous said...

I certainly mean no disrespect, but I just had to comment on this seeing how Rachel's shooter was recently sentenced to 19 years in prison and everything I have read on the subject makes him appear to be a cold blooded criminal and portrays Rachel as an innocent child victim...The truth is these girls were tresspassing and harrassing innocent people for their own amusement. For every action, there is a reaction. I feel for Mr. Allen and his mother more than I can feel for this girl. It's not a story of kids will be kids...If they were taught respect for human beings, she wouldn't be in the situation she is now. I have three teenaged children and believe me, they were taught the importance of respecting individuals and the law from day one. They know right from wrong. Life is about choices and one must accept and deal with the consequences of those choices. Rachel chose to disregard Mr. Allens right to privacy when she tresspassed and intruded into his property and life that night, and by circling around and going back she harrassed and provoked him into trying to protect his rights. And for that he will spend the next 19 years in prison while she is haled as a trouper, a fighter, a survivor. She IS NOT a victim. He is the victim.

Anonymous said...

I just read on CNN website that the man who shot Rachel has been sentenced to 19 years in jail. Although her situation is tragic and unfortunate, I think that the sentence is too harh for defending property. It is too often that teenagers believe that it is okay to play a joke and to test the limits of someone who is less fortunate. This should be a lesson to think before you act. I wish Rachel the best in her recovery but the system should look at the case from both sides, not just the angle of a teenager being shot, but what act or crime was committed that caused her to be in harms way????