Friday, February 22, 2008

"Writing"

Found this photo on my new favorite blog.
The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks seriously cracks me up. People send “pictures” of signs that use gratuitous quotation “marks” to hilarious “effect”.

----------------

I'm a blogger with the idea that I shouldn't post a blog entry unless I have
some deep, meaningful thing to say or unless I have a funny story to share. I abhor reading blogs that are just one incessant blah blah blah about pretty
much nothing but the excruciating minutae of the writer's day-to-day life. And when I say day-to-day, I really mean up-to-the-minute drivel about nothing. They ate spaghetti ... had to wait an extra 15 minutes at the dentist ... the Kitty piddled on the carpet again … and on and on. (I'm not referring to the blogs of anyone who regularly visits here.)

I've been reading Madeleine L'Engle. She wrote more than 45 books, but if you haven't read any of her works or if you just need a bit of inspiration, read Madeleine L'Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life. Sometimes when you read a great writer's words about writing, you just want to forget writing altogether and take up ping-pong instead. But L'Engle makes you want to start writing immediately, and to write with more passion and dedication than ever before.

So, I think I realize now that there must be some sort of "in-between" amidst those daily regurgitation blogs and the type of posts I want to write. L'Engle has shown me that though I've felt in the past few months I haven't had anything worthwhile to say, in reality I've really had way too much to say.

"Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it." --Madeline L'Engle

3 comments:

Gumby said...

it's your blog - you write when you want to! I know my output has been lackluster lately. All I know is that when you write, it's always witty and makes me happy to have another little piece of you.

I MISS YOU!!!!!

cynderloowho said...

Never have you written drivel...you write from your heart. I miss you and because I don't get to see you or talk to you often, your writings are how I get to be in touch with you. Trust me, my angel, you ALWAYS have something to say...and I mean that in the best of ways...your inquisitiveness and thoughts and opinions are what make you the you that we treasure. Miss you, dolly!

KC said...

I'm glad to see you're back writing on your blog! Yes, I tend toward that type of minute-by-minute blog entry. Oh well. Different blogs for different people. I basically started my blog just to have something to do when I got bored at work.